The weather has been good today so it always puts me in the mood for Paella and Mojitos.
I have been making my own Paella for years and I’ve adapted it to what I like personally since I’m not keen on seafood.
I think the main thing to get right is the rice and I always use Paella rice never Risotto. You can add what ingredients you like and omit the ones you don’t.
I’m not a big fan of peas in risotto either I don’t think they add to the taste at all and are a bit pointless.
Turmeric is a great alternative to saffron and allot cheaper.
I often accompany Paella with Patatas Bravas I haven’t made it tonight but will when I do I will post my own recipe for it.
And a Mojito of course, enjoy!
- National paella day (eatocracy.cnn.com)
- Summer paella (yearofbeingme.wordpress.com)
I recently went to Key West and had the most amazing chilli I’ve ever tasted in my life. So as soon as I got back I made it straight away.
Unfortunately I didn’t take a picture of the Key West Chilli it was pretty spectacular served up in a hollowed out loaf of bread with a lid on! I’ve never seen this before although I know it’s a popular method for serving Chowder.
So unfortunately I’ve not served it in a loaf but do intend to try it.
I had chilli also in a diner in Miami (www.eleventhstreetdiner.com best Diner on the planet) on the trip no where near as unique but still good and what I observed is in the US they eat it with a spoon and no rice.
So what makes it a Summer Chilli?
I always think of Chilli Con Carne as a bit of a winter warmer or a comfort food. The ingredients in this give it more colour and fragrance which I feel makes it make of a Summer dish.
I’d say they was only two ingredients added to make it really special Sweetcorn and Coriander. Also no beans which Iis great for me as i don’t like them in a Chilli but the sweetcorn makes up for that.
Ok so here’s the recipe enjoy!
Summer Chilli Con Carne
500g Lean Steak Mince
1 Onion (diced)
1 Green Pepper (diced)
1 Red Chilli ( finely diced and more if you like the heat)
250g Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
4 Garlic Cloves (finely chopped)
1 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
1 Tin of Sweetcorn
Tsp Chilli Powder
Tbsp Tomato Purée
Handful of fresh Coriander (chopped)
Cup of Water
Grated Cheddar Cheese
Nachos or Rice to Serve
1. Fry the mince on a low heat till brown then remove from the heat and drain the fat.
2. Return to the heat and add the Cumin,cayenne ,Paprika and Chilli powder.
3. Allow the meat to draw in the spices on the heat for about a minute or too then add the onion diced.
4. After a couple of minutes add the Garlic and Red Chilli.
5. Then the pepper and continue to cook on a medium heat till the ingredients added soften.
6. Then add the Cherry Tomatoes, Tin of Tomatoes and Purée.
7. Wait till it starts to bubble add the water then cover and reduce the heat to low let it simmer for thirty minutes. At this stage you could transfer to an oven and cook on a low heat for an hour.
8. When ready add the sweetcorn.
9. Serve over Nachos or Rice and top with Coriander and Grated Cheese.
- Chilli con Carne (a la Dave) (chillisageandlemon.wordpress.com)
- Awesome Chilli con Carne (inspiredlifewithjess.wordpress.com)
- Easy-peasy chilli con carne (8hrs) (slowcookbook.wordpress.com)
- Sweetcorn Fritters with Avocado & Lime (cotelettes.wordpress.com)
- Chilli con carne (goodfoodjourney.me)
- Saturday’s Chills and Thrills (greedyfoodster.com)